Best Bar Exam For Us Lawyers Practicing Abroad?

Although the number of candidates who pass the bar exam in their respective jurisdictions is not kept, it’s reasonable to say that most or all jurisdictions require applicants to take and/or pass their local state (or equivalent) bar examination. The majority of law schools offer foreign students an opportunity for a “foreign jurisdiction” option, which means they can sit for an “exam” in the U.S., Canada, England, Australia or other country but can’t actually practice there because they don’t hold a license (a JD). Some American law schools give them this option; some others do not. But even if you aren’t eligible for this type of program abroad, many countries recognize courses taken at U.S.-based law schools with respect to admission to practice in those countries.

So what does being called back have to do with your chances after sitting out? Nothing! An attorney may be able to get licensed without taking and passing his or her own state’s bar exam by having completed a minimum amount of course work required by his or her home state while attending school there under special non-admissions rules governing international students—and these days more states are adopting such rules [see our article on post-bar licensing options]. In fact getting licensed through one’s home jurisdiction has become so common that no particular stigma attaches anymore among foreign lawyers—whether practicing here legally or illegally—by virtue of only having sat out the bar exam once. As long as he/she stays competent

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *